About Josh Tan
Josh is an art psychotherapist and multi-disciplinary art-maker based in Singapore, with a diverse, cross-cultural experience working with people using creative arts, including individuals with special needs.
Trained in MA Art Therapy at the University of Derby in the UK, Josh has served in community mental health settings across England’s public health system, the National Health Service (NHS), providing individual art psychotherapy for children, teenagers and adults with a wide range of backgrounds, including depression, anxiety, eating disorders, disrupted attachment, psychosis, OCD, ASD and ADHD.
An adult Third Culture Kid (TCK) artist and two-time TEDx speaker, Josh works predominantly with text and tactile media in his art, making use of haptic perception and somatic processing to explore the inter-cultural themes of loss, identity and belonging.
Formerly the art teacher for the YMCA Y-STARS, a group of individuals with intellectual disabilities, and a children’s play facilitator with Playeum’s Centre for Creativity, he is passionate about the multi-cultural experience and making art accessible to all ages and abilities. His clinical interests include working with trauma, neurodiversity and intellectual disabilities.
Josh is a professional member of the Australian, New Zealand and Asian Creative Arts Therapies Association (ANZACATA), the British Association of Art Therapists (BAAT), and is a registered art therapist with the Health & Care Professions Council (HCPC), UK’s main healthcare regulatory body.
- TEDx Talk: “The Borderlands of Belonging”, TEDxUniversityofDerby 2019 (My TCK Story)
- Webinar: “Art as Therapy”, Calm Collective Asia (Using art in mental health)
- Podcast: Finding Belonging as a Third Culture Kid, Calm Conversations (TCKs & Mental Health)
- Feature: Art Therapist Profile, Shentonista (Mental Health in Singapore)
- Magazine: Art for Mental Wellness, The A List
- Book Chapter: ‘The Borderlands’ in Sent: Reflections on Boarding School and Childhood (2020), Edited by Ostini, J. et al. (Written Transcript of TCK TEDx Talk)
- Solo Exhibition: (UN)CERTAINTY (2021), SainouSpace, Singapore
- Group Show: to feel our selves again (2021), PaperWork, National Design Centre, Singapore
- Solo Showcase: “Everything Must Go __” (2021), dblspce, Singapore
- Open Studio: lost in transition (2021), Hearth 2.0, Art Outreach, Singapore
- Group Show: Beyond Words (2020), University of Derby, UK
- Group Show: Mark-Making (2020), City Arts, Nottingham, UK
- Speaker: TEDxUniversityofDerby (2019), UK